Old 04-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black-N-Tan
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
booda is on a distinguished road

I acquired a hybrid Highlander with my marriage a little back and I've got to say now that I've got one, I'd NEVER buy another one. A couple reasons that I wasn't aware of at all prior to dealing with this one. First, it gets lousy highway mileage, they are designed to truly benefit the city driver in stop and go traffic. From a USATODAY article: "The best place to maximize the gas mileage of the Prius is in stop-and-go city driving and California commuting where cars rock back and forth between 25 mph and 45 mph," Toyota spokesman John Hanson says. Second of all, all the maintenance costs are much higher. I've got my usual goto guy that's been working on my cars for years and I totally trust him, he just scratches his head with that hybrid, so I usually end up back at the dealer which is my last resort. About 3 months ago I had to have a full brake job done on the front and rear, I was expecting the bill to $500-$600, came in at $2100 and the dealer was "nice" enough to knock a few things off and get it down to $1800. I checked around, the labor charges were fairly standard although taking the rear end apart apparently takes a few hours longer because the hybrid setup is different, but the killer was how much the parts cost. We also had the hybrid inverter (aka hybrid brain) go out at 70,000 miles, luckily it was still under warranty or that would have cost $8200 to replace.

So basically, to hybrid or not to hybrid is an individual choice, me personally never again would I get one, and anybody that thinks they are going to ultimately save money by getting one should really do their research before buying one. The maintenance expense would easily have wiped out any gas savings I had made assuming I did have a gas savings in the first place.

2011 Laramie Black-N-Tan