Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 QC 4.7L
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:91
icephreaq will become famous soon enough
Talking

Well, I was paid a visit by the FedEx guy on Thursday! The first thing I noticed about the Volant was the insane diameter of the intake tubing! This thing starts at the filter 5 inches wide! Installation was a breeze since I had already taken the factory air hat and accordion tubing out for my DIY intake mod. A couple items of note to anyone with an 08 or newer 4.7L

1. In order to have the AIT sensor cable reach the new location of the sensor I had to very carefully use a razor knife to cut the electrical tape holding it in a bundle with some other various cables near the alternator. Once it was free it reached without a problem.
2. The "breather hose" that comes off of the left side of the engine and connects to the factory filter housing is apparently on the opposite side of all the previous model years.
3. The hose that comes on the 08+ is also 5/8" in diameter and the connection on the Volant tube is only 1/2" diameter.
4. The factory hose + the 3"x1/2" hose provided by Volant in this kit are not enough to make the proper connection to the intake tube.

Of course in my excitement to put this thing together I didn't realize until I had everything in that this was going to be a problem. However, if there were an award for the most unique use of a paint-ball gun barrel I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten it for how I managed to make it work just long enough to get to Autozone! With my temporary tubing patch in place I made it to Autozone to buy a 2ft long section of 1/2" diameter heater tubing and a 5/8" to 1/2" coupler. I cut the factory tubing down to approximately a 6" long elbow and connected it to the tubing I bought which hooked up perfectly to the Volant.

I'm really enjoying this mod so far. The DIY kit I did sounded nicer than stock and did help my MPG but this thing sounds down right angry! I know it's been said a million times but I'm pretty sure my MPG is going to suffer for the first week or so just cause I want to here her roar :-D I can say as well that engine response feels much "firmer" for lack of a better way of putting it. I plan on posting up pics tomorrow as our digital camera is charging and the lighting in my garage sucks at 12:06AM
Debadged and RamForumZ branded, 3bspec LED Tails (chrome), LED 3rd brake light, Putco 360 reverse lights, turn signals and tag lighting, blue LED instrument cluster, Hella 500FF driving lights, self installed OEM foglights, VOLANT CAI in route!