View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Raam 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:13
zxbud is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddogGM View Post
I want to start out to say that I know nothing about 4x4 suspensions on a Dodge. I am very mechanical I worked on a road racing team for three years and have played around with cars since I was 6 years old. Just never worked on anything 4 wheel drive. I have a 97 1500 RAM 4x4 that I inherited and it is in need of some repairs. The right front axel u-joints are shot and need to be replaced. I need to know how to do this. I have looked in my repair manual and it seems to just skip right over it. Somehow I am guessing it is not as easy as replacing a u-joint on a driveshaft. Thanks for the help.
I just did this to both sides at once. I used pb blaster first and then removed the hubs with axels attatched as there's no reason to separate them if the bearings are good. Used a ball joint press from Autozone which will work on ujoints, too. I could not hammer the old joints out. Had to used a 500 lb ft air ratchet on the press to get the 4 hour job done. Truck has 190000 miles and is a 1999 1500.