View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 4*4 3/4 Quad, 5.9 Auto
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Khaki
Rep:12
cerres is on a distinguished road

I've driven both.. the hemi is sweet, no doubt about but the 4.7 beckons me. Nothing against push rod engines, nothing against the hemi at all but the OHC 4.7 at 310hp is more than sufficient to do anything, anyone wants short of approaching the limits of the truck. That/which I prefer is the "bed plate" build of the 4.7... it's rigid as if Chrysler/Dodge have something more in store for it as it is without doubt one of the two toughest ways to build an engine... the other being a tunnel shaft engine of which, if manufactured would push the front end of a pickup into the ground... they're heavy.
Mileage, all things being equal, if not for the deactivation of four cylinders in the hemi, the 4.7 would get better mileage...
Here's what I did... purchased a 3/4 FWD quad cummins auto... and my mileage is awesome! So was the original price of the pickup over a half ton...
Follow your heart... go with your instinct... bigger doesn't always mean better and everyone's end use is different... as are their reasons for purchasing what they do. For what it's worth, there's a staggering number of 3.7 half tons running around as well... if you live in the flatter lands, it's all you need. Wife has one in her Liberty... not too bad... not too bad at all!

Last edited by cerres; 02-09-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: addition