View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam10 View Post
Looks like you'll be driving much safer now.
Oh most certainly. It's amazing that they didn't snap just sitting on their. But I still have a few more suspension and steering items that I will have to replace and will be replacing eventually. I need a new upper ball joint for my driver side because the grease fitting rusted away and I can't remove the fitting to replace so I have to replace the whole ball joint. But in order for me to do all this I have to get a ball joint socket so I can remove and yes install it and torque it to specs. But for now it should be fine, just can't grease it. Everything else is ok, I'm going to eventually replace the tie rod tubes and ends cause they're very rusted and old and would be best to replace them. I do believe it was good I replaced those links cause they snapped very easily with a wrench and pliers and this van weighs 6800Lbs so it would have sucked to have one of the links snap while making a curve. But all that aside I still have to get all 4 new tires cause the ones on here well for one the thread markers are showing and two they're about 7 years old. But they are good enough to drive around town I can't drive very far with them. I need to get a steering wheel alignment because the steering column is off center with the wheel alignment. The alignment is fine but the steer wheel is way off that and my spider in the coupler is broke and I should flush my steer gear out with new fluid cause it's real old and would be best to flush it and change with some new valvoline synthetic. But anyways for now it really feels much better and stiffer. Even when I get inside the van it doesn't rock as much anymore since I replaced those links with longer upgrade model ones. But hey it starts up and idles ok, the idle has some slight bumps but it has been sitting for a long time and has a ton of miles but once I get all new suspension and steering and I get this thing out on the highway and open her up for a distance it should help clear it out. I did a ton of oil and fuel treatments. I know if I clean out everything and do a valve job it should be much better but I am saving that for a while because time and money. But for now it is much better then it was before. It has a window now and working brakes. It's come a long way. I have to get some transmission fluid I put 4 quarts in after I changed the filter and their is only a dot of transmission fluid on the very tip of the dip stick... So yea it needs fluid like crazy. It's probably why I use to hear the complaint that it would slip. Well no fluid you get slip but yes band adjustment would help. Only thing is I don't have all the proper tools to do the bands myself. I have a torque wrench yes but I don't want to use my cheap wrench on a transmission. I will use my cheap wrench on the top part of the engine and suspension etc but when it comes to the lower parts of the engine rods, bearings, and the transmission I will use a real beam type so I can get pretty darn close.