View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrckt View Post
Here is my two cents. After you looked at everything that was suggested look hard at all of the steering components...I look at mine tomorrow to see exactly how its built. My guess would be that something is loose or worn in the steering..like why it goes straight THEN leans into the turn. Even check the steering fluid, if its low you could possibly get air and when you turn the fluid is under pressure so if there is air it will compress to the pressure of the fluid trying to make it move (hence going straight then turning.) All of the joints like people have suggested would most likely give you a "shaky" feeling. And also if low fluid or something internal with the steering is wrong it is not something you wold readily see when the truck is off and on a rack.
Hoep this helsp and let me know what is the problem because I am curious myslef.
The truck can pull to the side on it's own if your steering angle is off which can also occur from a ball joint. Yes a bad ball joint could give you some what a shaky feel but not everything wears evenly. Anyways I wouldn't worry much about the steer fluid because the gear has a return line so over time air will find it's way out. I would bank my money on the joints because he had the gear box replaced and flushed he also have the tie rods replaced and at the same time the steering angle was adjusted however you can only adjust the angle with the car stationary however feelings of drive don't occur stationary most occur at higher speeds. Anyways just check the balls joints mostly. The springs should be fine typically they only need replacing every 8 years DEPENDING on how you drive.