Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:166
Wildcat has a spectacular aura aboutWildcat has a spectacular aura about

I had 32x11.50 tires on my Jeep with 3.54 (3.55 Ram) gears a 2:1 (2.72:1 Ram) transfer case ratio a 2.99 (3:1 Ram) 1st gear which is geared higher (lower gearing is better off road, more engine revolutions to move the tires, allowing more power per entire revolution of the tire) than our trucks with similar sized tires. I took it on the sand multiple times with no lockers, just aired down and had no problems.

If you are sticking with stock or +1 tires, then I wouldn't bother with your gears. You could talk to your local 4x4 shops and see what they would charge for a Detroit Locker and install. It won't be cheap, but it will significantly improve your capability offroad, but will sacrifice some on road manners.

Most guys are doing fine on the sand stock as long as they air down their tires. This gives you more of a footprint, which allows the weight of the truck to be spread over a larger surface area. I know some beaches have air compressors to refill your tires, but I would suggest having an alternate way of airing up your tires just in case.

I saw that one guy on here took some 2x12's and put grip tape, like for a skateboard, on them and took them on the beach with him for traction in case he got stuck. That would be a cheap extraction option for you to throw in the bed just in case.

I know this is a lot of info, but hopefully it helps.

Last edited by Wildcat; 06-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.