Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:83
cosbourn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII View Post
To the OP, any vibration when applying brakes? Check your u joints.

Cosbourn, how low was the gear oil when you noticed the pinion seal leak? If it has gotten low enough your pinion bearing and other gears may have began chewing themselves up. Have you replaced the seal yet?
maybe an inch below the filler whole. it wasn't too bad. There was enough fluid in the pinion to still be leaking like crazy under the truck and on the surrounding area around the pinion and gas tank and bottom of the bed. But the vibration was apparent before and has gotten worse with time. I have only owned the truck for just over a year now and when I bought it I crawled up under it and checked everything out, there was no leak a year ago..so it was a relatively slow leak. there was also no vibration when i bought the truck so im thinking that the leak and whatever's going on are related..I have not replaced the seal yet, I have just for the mean time been checking fluid levels every two weeks and filling accordingly. Have been doing it that way for the past 6 months nursing it on the same quart of gear oil. I have been a full time student and now working full time and can't find time to dedicate to figure out what's going on. There is no grinding or catching so i wouldn't think i have lost a pinion bearing. but for sure the pinion seal is trashed. I've heard dealerships will do it for like 70$ plus the price of the seal? that's about the cheapest thing i've heard coming from a dealer other than an oil change. HAHA!
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar w/ IPF 968CSG lights, Husky Mud Flaps, Bedlined GoRhino Dominator II steps, Bedlined Fuel Door, RBP Pedal-Covers, Clarion CZ300, Composite BFI (#71) w/ 8" Tall Amsoil Filter + K&N Drycharger Prefilter, AirRam Scoop, Flex-a-Lite 183, dumped Aeroturbine 3030XL

Last edited by cosbourn; 06-28-2011 at 11:59 PM.