View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star
Rep:22
jintx is on a distinguished road
Default Broken water pump impeller

Just recently had the water pump go out. No weep hole leakage, just instant failure. As a result of the failure, the middle was broken out of the plastic impeller. There are pieces unaccounted for. I've already disconnected the lower radiator hose and removed the thermostat, no pieces in there.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. This is my first time working on this truck and am completely new to this 4.7, though I've logged plenty of hours on the old 318. Should I be worried about the missing pieces?

None of the pieces missing from the impeller pictured below have been recovered.

Update: I just flushed the radiator with both the top hose disconnected from the radiator and the lower hose disconnected at the thermostat housing. I also flushed into the upper radiator hose (where it connects to the radiator) into the engine, water came out of the thermostat housing. I did this with the old water pump on and off. Still no plastic pieces.

Another Update: After numerous flushings I found that the pieces had become lodged in the passage way between the water pump and thermostat housing. I got them out by keeping a flow of water from the top while jabbing a stiff 1/4 rubber hose into where they were blocked from the bottom. It was just Murphy's law that these 3 pieces had become locked into place where the flow of water (from a garden hose) wasn't enough to dislodge them.

I'll leave this post up, maybe it'll help somebody else. Now I'm just wondering why Dodge used a plastic impeller. Less rotating mass? Who knows...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg broken_impeller.jpg (82.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by jintx; 07-07-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Sponsored links