Vehicle: 2011 Big Horn Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RamboObmar is on a distinguished road
Default MPG Story and Best Tire Pressure on stock 20” Goodyears

Hi Guys,

My 2011 Big Horn/CC/Hemi/3.55/soft tonneau’d Ram has a little over 5,000 miles on it now.

I took the family for a little vaca over the 4th from Boston to Maine. About 240 miles each way. I travelled with my wife, 3 young kids, and a week’s worth of “stuff” filling the bed about 3/4 of the way under my tonneau. So figure about 500 pounds of people and 200 pounds in the bed.

On the way to Maine and back to Boston, my tire pressure was still where it was when I bought it in February. Each tire was at 44 PSI cold and 46 PSI when warm.

We drove in very little traffic, but in many, many (sign of the times) speed/radar traps. So I just set the CC to 68 mph and could routinely travel for 20 or more miles at a time before having to tap the brakes. On the way up, I got an on-ramp to off-ramp (rt95, about 200 miles) MPG of 20.3 on the EVIC using Boston Gas and 19.6 MPG coming home on a refill of Maine Gas (with Ethanol). The traffic density was about the same both ways, I just chock up the difference to winds, minor slow downs, etc…. or maybe it was the Ethanol in Maine’s gas?.

Anyway, I think that is excellent milage either way assuming the EVIC is close to true MPG.

My question is, do any of you guys see similar MPG under similar conditions when running the factory recommended 35 PSI ? I’m thinking not and that my good mileage, and rather rough ride, is due to the high tire pressure. That said, I would be willing to sacrifice a little MPG for a softer ride due to running the lower factory recommended 35 PSI.

All comments/experiences welcome.

Thanks, Ed
Sponsored links