View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport or
Trim Level: sport
Color: red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
mocled67 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation help >>popping noise in ram rearend

I have a 1500 ram sport automatic 4wd 5.9lmagnum. it has 9 and 1/4 rear and dana 44 front with 410 gears. It started making a hard loud popping noise that sounds like it is coming from middle to back of truck. had new axle bearings installed 6 months ago as well as new diff and gears professionally. I put new brakes on it 3 months ago. thought it may be rear brakes so I jacked it up and moved wheels by hand and no noise. put in gear and no noise while lifted off ground. rear drive shaft has no play in it and u joints seem to be good. ttook off hubs( brakes are good) and adjusted brakes just a little. has good fluid and always checked. set truck back down and it still makes the hard popping sound and feel at very low speed like pulling into the drive or backing out or in parking lots. other than that it drives and runs fine. over 5 mph there is no popping or any kind of noise till i come to a stop and then take off and i can feel it when it does it. any ideas before I tear into this thing. its a daily driver. I would appreciate any help.
Sponsored links