View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I agree with going some route other than swapping in a hemi. Obviously you are going to have to buy and swap the engines (and of course you could sell your 4.7 to offset that cost) but you are also going to have to buy all the little stuff that is specific to the 5.7 engine....definitely the hemi PCM and who knows what else. I would say do the cams, intake, etc on your truck if you are going to keep it or just trade up on a hemi truck. I was just looking earlier (out of boredom and curiousity really) and I can get a hemi that is basically identical to my truck in color, miles, options, etc. and I think it was one year newer for about $4,000 or so more than what I could probably sell mine for. You might want to think about that and weigh the cost of doing those serious mods on the 4.7. Just my thoughts.

Also, I need to update the original thread but I know you were following my Superchips opinion thread so I thought I would tell you my final thoughts on that. I think the 20 or so hp and torque is there, it just comes on so late in the RPM that you aren't really going to feel it in everyday driving. However, the truck definitely holds on to gears a little longer, resists shifting so much, and shifts a tad quicker/firmer. This kind've mimics more power because it doesn't lag so much. Would I give $350 for a new one on our model truck? No, probably not. Would I give $200 for a used one like I did again? Yes, I would. If you decide to, keep an eye on Ebay and you can get one for that pretty easily.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.