View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:54
gs283020 will become famous soon enough

I was averaging about 19 mpg highway when I first got my truck for a month. I know a lot of people are going to argue with me but I have hand calculated it myself. I have since added a Tonneau cover, AFE CAI, and a Magnaflow muffler swap(Y pipe is waiting in the basement for the end of the month). With this set up I made a lot of trips because my Mother-in-law was visiting for 6 months. We went to Niagra Falls, upstate NY, Baltimore, Washington D.C., NYC, Ohio, and a bunch of parks all over multiple states since I got my truck on March 1st. With my wife, m-i-l, myself, and 3 people's luggage I was easily getting 21-22 mpg. I am not saying it is day and night but even without a tuner(still waiting for them to release for 11) I got 2-3 mpg more on freeway with this set-up.

Also for those of you who say it won't pay for itself, do the math. 3 mpg more that is say 75 miles more per tank for math sake with a 25 gallon fill-up. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, say that we saved 4-5 gallons of gas per fill up. Therefore saving $20-25 a tank... How many times do you fill up your truck in the time you own it?

Also before you stipulate, I realize also that the #1 most important thing to do saving gas is to stay off of right pedal. I am one that likes to have the extra under the hood, but I also want to be able to use it as a practical trip/daily driver vehicle. I believe that with what I have done, I have made it just that...