View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mod 13 - Black Chrome the Rams Head badges

Since my truck had to go to the body shop for some cosmetic surgery, I figured it would be a great time to Black Chrome my Rams head badges.

Here is the stuff used in the process -

Here are the badges as they came off the truck. The tailgate badge is sitting face down on some foam so I could clean the remaining tape off it. Using a combination of a paint scraper and 3M Adhesive Remover, I was able to clean it up in about 15 minutes. Wasn't sure at first, but can attest that the adhesive remover is completely safe for use on these plastic badges

After cleaning the back of the tailgate badge, I spent about 30 minutes cleaning the face of both badges. As with all painting, prep work is the most important thing. I used Duplicolor Grease & Wax Remover, and meticulously cleaned every little crack using a micro fiber cloth and Q-tips. After a good cleaning, I blew them dry with an air hose, and polished them with a micro fiber cloth. Here they are ready for paint -

I applied 2 coats of Duplicolor Shadow Base Coat, spraying from 4 angles to ensure uniform coverage. I waited 20 minutes between coats. Here they are after the second coat, waiting for the Clear Coat -

I let them set for 2 hours (don't need to wait that long, but the lunch bell rang, and I took an extended lunch), then applied the first 2 light clear coats 20 minutes apart. Waited 30 minutes, applied 2 heavier coats 20 minutes apart. After 2 hours of drying, I set them out in the sun to bake for a few hours -

Interestingly enough, they look like different colors in the pic....might have been the light angle, as they look identical in color/shade in the non-photographic world.

All I need now, is a truck to attach them to.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links