Old 07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Ram 2004Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
packman055 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I was trying to relocate a different A/C thread to comment on, but I'm familiar with one possible answer to your problem. I have multiple Mopar products so I've dealt with similiar issues a couple of times. From your post, it looks like you have cool air while moving but not after stopping for a few minutes (like at a stop light). Look to see if the electric condenser fan is coming on when you're stopped with the A/C on. If not, your high pressure switch is probably kicking in while you're stopped and when you take off, the air flow cools, thus lowers the pressure in the system and your A/c compressor kicks backs on. The fix is relatively easy, replace the fan.
Don't try to use a small universal fan, it won't work. I tried that the first time. I think it's still on my son's truck. Buy the proper fit fan, aftermarket is OK.
When you replace the fan, you DO NOT have to D/C the system. I just cut the section of the shroud that the lines would have to go through. It hasn't affected performance at all. I've done this to multiple vehicles, all my own. I think the only reason the shroud was engineered/moulded that way is to make you think twice about doing it yourself. You will have to splice two wires if you want to keep the factory connector.And you also have to massage the shroud out and then the new one in, but it's not that difficult. If that's your issue good luck!
Bill