Old 07-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:21
Studdlygoof is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Ram 1500 Custom 12" Underseat Subwoofer Enclosure Build

Well with my futile search of a box that would fit under my rear seat for 2 12" subwoofers I have decided to build my own. I had first considered using MDF as a building material, but with my minimal amount of space already I have decided to build a fiberglass enclosure to maximize the amount of space.

As many of you already know there are a lot of curves and angles under the rear seat so I decided to fiberglass the entire bottom of the box as well to make my life easier. My carpet is still in pretty good condition and I don't want to risk a "mishap" that would ruin it. I stopped by the local junk yard and two hours later in 105 degree weather I was able to pull the carpet out of 1998 ram that matched mine.

After giving it a good cleaning with a shop vac, I cut it in half with a pair of tin snips. Next I removed the rear seat and seatbelt holders I placed the carpet in the back and made a few more cuts to make it fit.

The carpet is still a little lumpy from being pulled out but i'm going to get a couple sand bags to lay ontop of it and I think with a couple of days in this heat in should be back to its normal shape.

Next step is going to be taping up the back wall and side panels and apply the bottom layer of fiberglass. My plan then will be to remove it once it dries and start working on the overall shape and dimensions required for air space. For now though there is a local beer crawl down at the college so I'm calling it quits

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated as this is my first time building a box with fiberglass. More soon to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Full Carpet.jpg (131.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Truck no seat.jpg (101.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Carpet cut in truck.jpg (126.2 KB, 79 views)
Sponsored links