Old 07-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
SDoriginal is on a distinguished road

I just flipped my overload spring a few days ago, so this is all fresh for me. With the rear axle supported with jack stands and the frame supported with the jack under the tow hitch, I unbolted the rear shackles and let the leafs hang from the front mounts. Unzip the spring pack bolt with an air gun and the leafs came apart slowly and nicely. No projectile nut or suspension components. Real easy gig. Some clamps will be helpful when bolting it back together, but not necessary.

Some suggestions:
Get a new centering pin that is about 1/2" shorter. With the overload gone, the stock bolt will be too long. And just my 2 cents: with the overload gone, the rear will be MUCH softer. Any load in the back of your truck will sink your fenders into your tires and can damage them pretty bad. I haven't done this but an alternative to removing the overload is clamping the overload to the rest of the pack. I've been told this is a cheap way to get a couple inches lower and doesn't compromise your load capacity. You should be able to pick up some leaf spring clamps at your local autoparts store...