Old 07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: LT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
tradarcher is on a distinguished road

Took most of the day considering the heat and other little emergencies I had that came up. Looks like I ended up only lowering it about 1.5”. Can’t remember every little detail about what I did but I did use a c clamp to remove the centering pin. In addition to the centering pin there is also a roll pin that keeps the leafs aligned. This proved to be a problem. When the c-clamp is taken off the leafs will separate and the roll pin will stay stuck in the overload leaf and the bottom leaf. I had to twist the overload leaf back and forth to get it to drop out. One was easier than the other. Afterward it was easy to knock out and cut ” off. This is where I discovered that both of them were cracked/split. Had to fabricate some more. What was so odd is that the crack was identical on each one. The center pin and u-bolts do stick up ” more but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. I also installed the Rough Country lowering shackles at the same time.

Impressions, I am surprised that I only got 1.5” out of doing both the overload leaf removal and the shackles. The first thing I did was get in the bed and jump up and down. I never did this before the conversion but I have been in the bed. I don’t know if this is valid or not but I felt like the spring rate was increased (bouncier). I had no trouble hopping that bed up and down. I got down on it pulling out of the driveway but with a v6 I couldn’t get much going so I couldn’t get it to spring wrap/hop. One thing I was NOT looking for was a better ride. I was floored at how much better the ride was. Even my son confirmed that. I'll have to see how it takes a load. I never planned to put a lot in it anyway.

So far I am very pleased. Even though it was only a 1.5” drop I can see the profile has changed. The truck appears more level. I can drop the tail gate and easily pop my cheeks on it now. Like an idiot I did not get any before profile pics but I can take some after pics tomorrow.

Last edited by tradarcher; 07-27-2011 at 11:33 PM.