View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Emerald Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
shak01 is on a distinguished road
Default The switch connector is already there?

I don't have foglights as a factory option. But I do have the two relays and the 15amp fuse in the main fuse box under the hood and the connectors under the radiator.

On the instrument panel to the right of the steering wheel next to the Overdrive Off switch there is a blank/delete "button"/extrusion...in other words no actual fog light switch...then the pigtail/connector for the dash foglight switch should be taped back and in the dash between the cup holder and the heat/AC controls for 1996 Ram 1500 5.9L and others. If the connector is not in the dash then where do the wires go that mjonesjr cut at the #2 relay LB (Light Blue) wire and the BR/WT brown w/ White Stripe) under the fuse box? Maybe some trucks have a special headlight switch (5 position) or the LB (Light Blue) wire and the BR/WT brown w/ White Stripe) under the fuse box go to another connector...but they have to go somewhere in the cab...so I still don't get it...why do you have to monkey with the main fuse box if the wires and the relays are there and the LB (Light Blue) wire and the BR/WT (brown w/ White Stripe) exit the main in a harness that goes back into the cab. Why not find them in the cab?
It just doesn't make sense to me that the factory would put the two relays and the fuse in the main box and not make it "super easy" for the "stealership" to rake in extra cash with a no-brainer fog light install. Every factory authorized "stealership" option I've ever seen is set up this way. In conclusion...if the relays are there...and the fuse is there...and the blank on the dash is there...the connectors are lurking somewhere...keep digging!
Note: Just went out to the truck...looked under the front bumper at the headlight wiring harness...there are two open connectors coming out of that harness, each slightly different, about two feet apart left and right of center...one has two light blue wires coming out of the back and the other has two black wires coming out of the back...I have'nt traced them down yet...but I bet the blue is hot when the foglight switch is on and the black is ground...Before I die I'm gonna figure this out...this whole damn thing amounts to 50 cents worth of nothing...it's all there except the $2 switch and a couple of $2 bulbs...bullshite dodge brackets/bezels and cans notwithstanding. I'll eat my words if I can't find that light blue and brown/white switch connector under the dash somewhere. It's got to be a slightly rectangular coupler with 4 wires in it: light blue, white w/ brown stripe, orange, and ? (probably black...ground).

Last edited by shak01; 07-31-2011 at 05:38 PM.