Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram Power Wagon
Trim Level: Power Wagon
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Nailhead is on a distinguished road
Default Power Wagon Sway Bar Fail

I had a problem with the sway bar on my '08 PW yesterday, and I have a few questions about it. First, the tale of woe:

I made a couple full-lock left turns yesterday, and could feel a tire rubbing somewhere. That made no sense-- the tires are the stock size, and besides it was a new development. I gave it a look and noticed the tire had rubbed the sway bar on the passenger side. I didn't think much else of it till I got home, got down and looked, and noticed the pass. side portion of the sway bar had come completely free of the electronic actuator unit, and had worked its way about 1 1/2" out of the rubber bushing.

My neighbor and I put it on his lift, determined the splines on the bar and actuator were okay, indexed it, and put it back together. I was awaiting a call-out to work, so I did not have the time to source a seal & put it back together the way I wish I could have. Sure enough, about 5 minutes before we had it buttoned up, my phone rang.

The securing ring on the end of the sway bar spline was not broken and it seems to want to stay put inside the actuator.

The seal on the actuator is boogered.

My questions are:

What could cause this? I remember entering a parking lot some time ago, and hearing a harsh clank like something gave way, but all felt well, and I didn't notice anything beneath, so I figured the actuator gave way internally.

How is the sway bar removed (again) from the actuator so I can replace that seal? Or can it even be removed? I have this gnawing fear that that whole sway bar assembly with actuator is sold as a unit & is not intended to be (intentionally) disassembled.

And lastly, has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored links