Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Husker Red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
bigredtruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
The question is...what are you doing with the truck? There's many different variables to a choice like that.

Supercharger is better if you just want light to light performance on the street. If you're actually going to drag race it, a turbo would be a better choice as there is more power potential with a turbo. Also, a turbo is great for towing.

Turbos are a much more involved install, though, and usually more expensive. Superchargers are much more straight forward and simple to install, but, as I said, there's not as much power potential with them.

Superchargers, however, give you instant throttle response, whereas a turbo has a minor lag between putting the pedal down and it responding.

So...back to my first question...

what are you doing with the truck?
As someone who has built and installed numerous turbo and supercharger kits...i disagree. Turbos are a MUCH easier build/install. The only "hard" part is all the piping. Now this is from a custom build stand point. A supercharger "kit" is very simple to install! Problem with superchargers on our truck is the high compression ratio. i think the 4.7 runs like 9.5:1. ideal is 8.5:1. Youd have to keep boost levels WAY down or you could do some MAJOR damage to your motor. All in All id go turbo. unless you find a decent Supercharger kit. And whatever you do...TAKE YOUR TIME!