View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

if i remember correctly
the difference between a 45RFE 5-45RFE transmission is mostly a software change
& that is what they may also do to make the 2012 6 speed auto

the 2012 6 speed transmission in the 1500 is said to have been used in the Gen 4 2500 & 3500 Rams, it didn't say whether it is in the 2 or 4 wheel drives

I found this online, sort of an ask the engineer site
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...nsmission.html

more about transmissions
In June 1998, Chrysler introduced the innovative 45RFE in its 1999 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee. Produced at Chrysler's Indiana Transmission plant in Kokomo, it was paired with the 4.7 L PowerTech V8 engine. The 45 number refers to the torque rating (5) and number of forward gears (4); RFE refers to rear wheel drive application and full electronic controls.

the 545RFE was not much of a change

the new 2011 6 speed still uses the same casing & the designations were
65RFE & 66RFE
a 3rd transmission is the 68RFE
are all explained here
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/68RFE.html

I don't have much to do today so i decided to bore all of you

I'm just waiting on next years 8 speed, they won't let me order it yet
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 08-21-2011 at 04:54 PM.