Thread: Starting issue?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 01:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT - Laramie
Color: White/Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:25
Georges98 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting issue?

Hey guys not new the the Dodge family, but recently stepped up to a Ram after selling my 170k Rust/Black '96 Dakota. (Been on the Gen 1 dak area)

So anyways I now have a '98 Ram 1500 White/Grayish From Arizona (No rust!) and a 360/Auto.

Drove great when I bought it out by my grandmas place out there, used it to drive around the valley when I was visiting, then drove it back to Chicago. In july.

Noticed about 3 weeks back (In chicago) that it wouldnt start until the volt meter creeped up. Would creep from about 10-11 ish to I'd say 13/14, then fire.

Then I replaced the terminals after it would do it more and more often over the next week. Seemed like the problem went away. Charging fine, reading 14 on the meter while driving.

Flash forward to yesterday, I noticed it did the thing where it would Half crank, then click, just once, not click-click-click fast like a low battery. Then it just would click once and not do anything (A solenoid click)

Got a jump after work (15 hour day) Then it started, drove over to the store up the highway about 4 miles, got a new battery, went out the truck, and it fired right up .

Went home and installed the new battery (Since the old one was a 9 year old NAPA that was too small) and have the same problems. Sometimes it will click once, sometimes it will half crank then click, and for the last 3 hours of trouble shooting, it will fire right up. Headlights are strong, all accesories work etc.

Where else do I look?

Sorry for the long post fellas, and i hope to get some pics of the truck up when this is figured out.

Thanks in advance yall!

George
Sponsored links