View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 87 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
DodgeingIt is on a distinguished road
Default 87 Ram Fuel Pump Install Problem

Hello all I am new to forum and hope there is someone who can help me with the problem I've encountered with my truck recently.

I have an 87 dodge ram w 318. Just recently my friend and I replaced my fuel filter and fuel pump after having issues with my truck not getting enough fuel. And often times having to use ether to get it to crank back over.

Well we replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump on sat. and used ether to help her get started and turn back over. She ran like a champ drove it for over 20 minutes. well come sat. evening I went to leave some where and she started for what i would call a flash in the pan and hasn't ran since.

With the fuel pump installed we disconnected the fuel filter from the hardline that leads to the carburetor. Fuel barely trickles out when you try to crank the truck. And it never makes it to exit on the fuel line that leads to the carb when we turn it over.

We've verified that the pump does work and that we do have the filter installed the right way and that none of the fuel lines are blocked. we disconnected the fuel pump and pumped it by hand and fuel shot out of the top of the carb line gushed all the way up past the front of the carb and actually got onto the windshield.

So the only thing we can guess is some how we are not installing the pump properly to where it is seating on the cam to turn it with enough rpm's to work right.

If anybody can help me with any info or something we may be missing when we are installing the pump it would greatly appreciated because we are running out of ideas. Either we are doing something wrong or possibly could the cam be worn down to wear it wont engage the pump correctly is the only theory we have going at the moment.
Sponsored links