View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan79 View Post
So my 99 Ram 1500 (318) is leaking coolant from the area of the water pump like a gunshot victim. I went down to oreillys to pick up a new one, and apparently there are 2 different kinds: one for a bolt-on pulley and one for a pull-off pulley. How can i determine which one i have without taking off the fan? Not having a lot of free time, i was just going to save some $$ by buying the pump and just taking it in to have it replaced, but if i have to tear everything apart just to find out, i might as well just do it. Can anyone tell me an easy way to find out which kind of pump i have?
Ok well the first thing you want to do is make sure it's not the bypass hose that is leaking, if the bypass hose is leaking it is very easy to mis-diagnose a bad water pump as this has happened to me but I was smart enough to stick my finger under the accessory bracket and feel the underside of the bypass hose and to my luck their was a cut in it. Small 10 dollar hose or make it your self 50 cents. Anyways you are going to have the remove the fan and drive anyways, just a tip of advice to save you the headache lol don't try to remove the fan with the serp belt on because the pulley will spin in the belt, the easy thing to do is to buy a water pump pulley tool, it looks like a giant "U" and the end and on each end is 2 metal pins that stick out, these pins pop into the pulley allowing you to hold the pulley in place while you go in with a adj crescent wrench and remove the bolt. Elsewise it's quite hard to move the fan drive from the pulley.