View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
sounds like your radiator core has a leak, either in the lower tank or in the core

what i would do
first see if there is wetness on the under side of the water pump, not against the engine block, but about 1/2 way between the block & the fan mounting bolts, you should feel a round hole, if there is wetness there, you will need a water pump.

don't pull the water pump with the radiator mounted, its too much like work
2nd pull the radiator out, take it to a radiator shop, the people there will likely give you 3 options
they can pull the tanks off & soak everything in a special bath solution, then they run a flat rod through every passage, soak it some more. Reuse the rod or water & air pressure to finish cleaning everything out, then they put the radiator back together. Pressure test it to locate leaks, repair any leaks. Paint the radiator black & your finished.

or they can pull off your tanks & replace the Core & reuse your tanks.

or they can just replace your whole radiator
all options have a different cost

next thing is the belts & hoses & thermostat, take the old ones with you to the parts store & get new ones

now you won't have to think about the coolant system for many years
They might not be able to even give you the options as not all radiators have tanks that can be removed, my radiator's tanks cannot be removed without rendering the whole unit useless. Of course I don't know if his radiator can or can't be rodded however I wouldn't jump to a conclusion and say that the shop is going to be able to do anything. I have had good luck using peak flush and clean fluid on my radiator which was just loaded with calcium deposits (rad sat for 6 years with old sink water in it) I put that cleaner in and some distilled water ran it for a week or two and the radiator is well perfect and clean no rust, no calcium etc, oh best of all no overheating ha.