DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HIGH MILEAGE 318's!!!

136K views 166 replies 113 participants last post by  KRheude23 
#1 ·
Just wanna see whos all runnin those high mileage rams out there, i like to see who keeps on keepin on in there rams. :wavey:

Tell us watchya got dont have to be a 318, what oil your usin and what style or cab, options, and that sorts of stuff. :smileup:

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT quad cab 4x4 with a 318, 46re, and limited slip rear diff. with 264,000 miles!! WOOO!!! I use royal purple full synthetic with the k&n oil filter. I did the TB mod and slapped on a flowmaster. no problems besides resent wheel bearing sqeals from all the winter potholes on the michigan roads. :Racing:

WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE GUYS!

#29 ·
hey guys i havent been on in awhile but i got an update lol
my truck now currently has 267,000 miles on it and man what a doosey when everything starts going bad on it at once.

i got the truck with 255,000 miles on it in january and NOTHING was wrong with it except for having to put it in neutral when you start it lol.
NOTHING leaked, sqeaked, or hissed or anything.

i currently just got done putting 700 bucks in parts into it.
starting with both front hubs, sway bar end links, tranny fluid and filter change, rear axle seal and diff seal, filled er back up with royal purple. the leaking axle seal destroyed the rear left drum and shoes. did a full tune up. plugs wires cap n rotor, still gotta do the valve cover gaskets that are leakin but not bad, both door pins on the driver side are shot so the door clunks when you hit bumps. the driver door window motor fried so i have to tape my window up. tranny fliuid leaks between the transfer case and where the tranny bolt toghether and now the damn steering box is leaking like a sivv and i have a bad upper ball joint thats causing both of the front inner tires to go completely bald because it needs an alignment.
buuuuuut every truck has its problems......

feewwwwww!!!!!!

buuuuut it hasnt put me down i love this truck and i never wanna get rid of it. these are truely great trucks the look and feel of them is awesome!

#31 ·
My dads 98 Ram 1500 extended cab had 220,000 on it 2 weeks ago....blew a head gasket and when i tpre it done i found it had a cracked head.

I got a great deal on a 2001 360 complete with harness and computer, so i tore it down, cleaned/honed, ported the heads, did the kegger mod, tb mod, and shorty headers...right now the 360 is hanging on the engine stand ready to go in. I hope to drop it in tomorrow!

#34 ·
Lol Codes we'll just blame the heat. But, the wiring harness appears to be the same between the two, and it just happens that these two engines run the same 24 lb injectors (3there are I think 3 different injector sizes for the v8 magnums), so I might even beable to run the stock computer.

#35 ·
Nice swap there, definitely want to hear more/see some pics! ;)

- Cajun

#39 ·
Got a 96' slt with the 5.2 and limited slip,has 237,000 miles on it and still sounds and runs strong.have only replaced fuel pump,ball joints,plugs and wires,tires since owning it.just running high mileage 10w30 and drive it about 50 miles a day back and forth to work.has stock intake with a y-pipe to a generic tube muffler like a cherry bomb dont know what make it is was already installed when I got the truck sounds pretty good though just need to replace the manifold gaskets to get rid of exhaust leak noise it has at low rpms.eventually will be getting rid of it to upgrade to a 2001 1500 sport 4x4 hopefully soon.

#44 ·
Mine is a '97 5.2 with 256k. Runs like new though. I use whatever oil I can get my hands on, basically, I just change it frequently. The previous owner used it in salt water tho, so I've had to replace the rear differential. I take it mudding once in a while and this has caused me to get new bearings and new break lines. Its a crew cab. Couldn't be happier with this truck.

#46 ·
I bought an 01 x cab I think it was babied all of its life it has 135,000 on the clock and counting. but love'n every min of it! I think the 5 speed helps! but i do want to do mods cat , cat back, headers, throttle body mod. k&n drop in filter oh and the euro style head lights. if any one has done these mods let me know if there worth the effort. thanks.

#135 ·
Well its been 4 years sense I bought her. And guess what another 100,000 on the clock! And still ticking. So far it's been great. Aside from routine maintenance. And 2 hub assemblys an altrenator and a water pump that went out in a blaze of glory and took my new belt with it. Been the best truck I've owned.

#47 ·
i know some might think iv'e lost my mind but i know what i have. A TANK with a small V8 but its my first 8 in12 years and the first ever with a clutch. and the young one in the fam is 9 its time for dad to have a toy too. cant get my camaro back and i like trucks. the best toy for dad!

#48 ·
now that sounds like a sandwich :smileup:
my last truck was a chevy with a 5 spd and i love my dodge so much better, i would love to have a 5 spd in my dodge. driving stick in a truck is double the fun!

#49 ·
:smileup::smileup:Ya its fun to have.my last truck was a 4 banger s 10 auto. Great on gas but not much else. Dodge wins

#51 ·
i've got a '91 D150 with a 318. odometer stopped at 56k original owner drove it a mile to and from work for years. was in barn kept condition when i got it but the paints deteriorated since then. black trim on the sides is starting to come unglued any one know a good way to fix that?

i've not done any major work on it i've got to have the transmission filter changed and the valve cover gaskets replaced which i'm doing this weekend (i'm tired of putting a quart in it every few weeks running 40 miles to and from work every day at 65-75mph). also headers and an oil change in the near future.

i hate driving it on the weekends because i only get 12mpg if i'm running under 65 but 16.5 if i'm at or over it.

also have a transmission problem either that or a computer problem i've got to wait for the engine to warm up enough for the temp needle to hit the C bar before i can drive it or else i can't get out of first gear. any suggestions?

#53 ·
My Magnum 5.2L/318cid just turned a mild 113,438 miles.

- High flow CAT
- High flow exhaust
- TB grind mod (only opposite sides of the IAC)
- Performance tranny cooler
- Heavy Duty water pump
- Bendix performance calipers, pads, and hoses
- BFGoodrich Commercial T/A's Load E
- RoadMaster Active Suspension Kit
- Autolite platinum plugs
- Performance ignition wires
- Performance coil

Been doing the mods to increase MPG. Latest on the B2500 HD suspension with the 8-lug rim/wheels is an impressive 18.86MPG hwy. That's 6MPG higher than the sticker rating.

#54 ·
I'm a believer in the 318, great engine. Many years ago I owned a Plymouth cop car with a 318 that had high mileage. Wish they still made it, might have taken it over the Hemi. Oil changes are vital to the longevity.

I also believe in maintaining a vehicle and it will come back to you in mileage. Unrelated to this forum but my soon to be Ram is replacing my 98 GM 350 Yukon with 225,000 miles (360,000km) on it. The motor runs like new but other maintenance costs are getting too high on it.