View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
ironchef2011 will become famous soon enoughironchef2011 will become famous soon enough
Default Alpine to JL Audio- Dash, Center and Headliner Speakers

This is the first stage in the conversion of the stock Alpine speakers in my 2011 Ram CC Sport to JL Audio.

The goal for me is to increase clarity, improve the soundstage and reduce the overly mid bass oriented stock sound system.

The speakers I chose to replace the stock Alpine 3.5" dash and center channel speakers are JL Audio C2-350x speakers. For more details, go here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_136C235...and%7cJL+Audio

I used the Crutchfield/Metra harness #12071039 so there would be no need to hack into the stock wiring. Just plug and play and move on with your life! The harness can be found here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207103...s.html?tp=3097

The dash and center channel speakers are easy to remove. First, gently pry up on the front of each grill to remove the cover. Next, use a 7mm socket and small ratchet to remove the two bolts holding each speaker in place. On the center channel grill, you will need to unplug the sensor built into the grill if so equipped. Installation is as simple as clicking in the new harness and performing the reverse of the aforementioned.

However, in an effort to provide higher frequencies to the front door effort to improve the soundstage, I wired in a signal line from the dash speakers and ran that wire to the door area. I'll use this later in stage two to be the signal line for a crossover for the tweeter separates. More on that later....

Next up was the headliner speakers. Gently pry on a corner of the grill and then carefully remove. It's held in place by four clips and is a little stubborn to remove so be patient. With the grill out of the way, you'll find a little 2.5" speaker and a special mounting bucket. Remove the speaker bolts with a Torx 20 driver. Once removed, I chose to use JL Audio VR-075CT for its silk dome tweeter and position adjustable mounting bucket. This is no longer for sale but information on them can be found here:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?comp_id=248

Since the 0.75" tweeter was far too small to mount into the headliner bucket, I fashioned a tweeter pod from a 2005-2010 Honda Odyssey to fill the gap and angle the tweeter accordingly. See photo for details. Please note that this tweeter uses a passive, in line crossover which is between the harness and the speaker to filter the undesired frequencies. Also, you can use the same harness as above simplify hookup.

Results- All I can say is wow. I had to readjust the EQ settings and am now completely flat on the midbass and treble settings with improved sound quality. It's not breathtakingly good yet, but an improvement nonetheless. I've heard mixed reviews on the replacement of the Alpine speakers but so far, I couldn't be happier and look forward to the four door replacements next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StockvsJL_Dash.jpg (73.6 KB, 606 views)
File Type: jpg Stock_Dash&Headliner_Speakers.jpg (113.5 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg JL_DashSpeaker_Wiring.jpg (120.8 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg JL_CenterChannel.jpg (96.2 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg JL_DashSpeaker.jpg (109.5 KB, 828 views)