View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute
Default MADDOG made me do it!

Yes....that's right. MADDOG is 100% to blame for my most recent mod that has so far has proven to be all benefits with absolutely no down side.

(For everyone that's looking for pix, you have stumbled on the wrong thread. This one (at least this post) is 100% pic free.)

I have said it before...I really like the sound of my OEM exhaust, and am NOT prepared to sacrifice that just for a little performance....and although it's touted as the better choice for performance, I particularly don't want the typical Magnaflo loud exhaust sound. I was also completely satisfied with my OEM intake system and overall engine performance...
BUT
we have a certain member (not going to mention MADDOG's name) that is constantly encouraging everyone to deploy the 'Big 3'. So after many months of feeling this burdening pressure, I installed a K&N drop-in filter. No change in sound, but noticeable in the high RPM range (butt dyno approved). Then the DSP (91 tune). This thing really pissed me off! The change in driveabilty, responsiveness and fuel economy were outright dramatic.

Then...against every desire to keep my exhaust sound....I ordered and in stalled a Mufflex DOD24M (24" Magnaflo). First off, the installation was a snap. Mufflex really has their act together, and their instructions are 'spot on'.

Sound - similar volume level to the OEM, but a much deeper (and I really don't want to admit this) and more pleasurable tone. I much prefer the sound to my OEM, and have to admit, the WOT performance is very noticeable. Although I have not had it on long enough to determine it's affect in the MPG area, I can say that my EVIC which hardly ever changes, has been slowly increasing the MPG number, even though I have been driving at WOT a lot more than usual. I will have firm numbers after a few tanks of fuel.

SO...there you have it. My truck runs better, runs stronger, sounds better and is even more pleasurable to drive....and it's MADDOG's fault!

Thanks MADDOG....I should have taken your recommendations more seriously and done this a lot sooner. For anyone else sitting on the fence, GET OFF. This stuff really does make a difference!

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Sponsored links