View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I'm not in Germany but I'm originally from the UK and I have spent plenty of time in Europe.

It would certainly be cool to have your Ram in Germany but I wouldn't do it. Gas more than double what it is here. There is no way I'd pay $200 to fill my tank. Driving is no problem but parking in towns is. It's not impossible but expect it to be a pain.

Now assuming that advice fell on deaf ears there are a few things you'll need to do to you truck. As you mentioned you'll need a rear fog lamp; you can wire up a single red lamp to a switch in the cab for this. A few things you might need to take into account though. Some (not all) European codes are stricter than those in the US for altering vehicles; this is particularly true for mods that might affect other drivers.

You might need to loose the Grapplers; unless things have changed tyres that come past the side of the vehicle are not allowed; they go with struck codes for the aiming. Headlights can be an issue, particularly with your leveling kit. It is illegal for low-beams to blind oncoming traffic so make sure you have the aim adjusted before you go. Your mods list doesn't mention an exhaust so I'll assume you have a stock one; if you don't consider going back to one. Exhaust noise in small towns will definitely get you snagged. Some towns in Europe have particularly strict emission laws and you need to get a special inspection sticker to drive in them.

I doubt this is a complete list and hopefully someone who has been been posted overseas can help out.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!