View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

Well, Dillon, I think it is a great choice to join the military. I spent 20.5 years in the Guard and Reserve. I was Infantry for 16 yrs, a Drill Sergeant for 2, and an ROTC instructor for the last 2.5 yrs. I taught a survival skills class for college freshmen and was responsible for the physical training program, along with spring and fall field training exercises. When I retired, the University did not want to loose me as an instructor, so they hired me as a part time teacher. I am still there today, after retiring 5 years ago.

I think it is a great idea to get some input before you talk to a recruiter, but the recruiter is the one that can and will tell you what you will be able to do. Some recruiters can be pushy, and some very calm and relaxed and let the military sell itself. If you DO talk to a recruiter and you feel pressured, get up and walk out!

The first thing they will want you to do is to take an ASVAB test which is a basic apptitude test that will give you a ranking and tell you what military jobs would be open to you depending on your score. This would be going the enlisted route. If you wish to be an officeer, you could try looking at a college that has an ROTC program (Reserve Officer Training Corps). If scholarships are available for that schools ROTC program, you would be able attend that school and receive up to 4 years free admission. Along with a monthly stipend for books/meals/ etc. I think the monthly stipend at my school is around $400 a month? That is a guess. After you complete 4 yrs of college and maintaiin a certain GPA and fulfill the requirements of the program, you are commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant for an 8 year obligation. Keep in mind, this is on the Army side. The college I work at is an aviation school, but I don't know if it is fixed wing or helicopters for aviation on the Army side. I believe it to be helicopter.

If you wish to speak to my Colonel at the school, you can PM me and I will give you the number and you can call him and ask questions. If you wish to know more, you can PM me and I will give you my number to call me. I hope it works out for you and you make the right choice.

DISCLAIMER_ It has been a while since I have been in the military, so please don't quote me on the above information. It is remembered to the best of my ability, and my ability isn't what it was when I was 20!!! LOL!! (nor my memory!)

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats