Thread: Air Intake
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:514
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
Stock fender opening for CAI is somewhat restricted by the frame and headlight bucket/support
Here's the view from the engine bay with the stock air box removed, and what it looks like from the front with the headlight removed:

This is the natural air path (red line) that all aftermarket CAI (including the stock box) currently use, the green oval marks the approximate direction of top of my flex tube.

Ramming extra air from the Front instead of letting it suck air from below in combo with the Airaid and FastMan feels like a new Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
The Airaid, although great due to the shear size of the filter element, is still limited because it still relies on the limited size of the stock fender opening, same as stock.
The reason many people say aftermarket CAI's are not much better than stock (just louder) is because they all share the same limitation...
Airaid, K&N, aFe, AEM and Mopar CAI all share that same small fender opening, lowest common denominator = weak (as well as being open on top)
...at least the stock box with a drop in high flow flat filter is still sealed.

Redirecting air from my front bumper certainly helped force more air toward that opening, but only a single tube used and
my flex tube does not go all the way up...only about 8" up and about 8" short. It doesn't make an actual connection to the box.

Before and after comparison:

The Airaid does not have an additional port at the bottom of the box, and although I considered cutting one in,
the Volant caught my eye since it already has one...and a sealed top ...which I like for the car wash.

Just looking at both systems side by side, you tell the alignment of the tube,
the taller smooth arc of the tube and the positioning/direction of the box in relation to the fender opening that the Volant is a better design.
The powercore filter also takes in air from the end that's pointed directly at the air source.

Now look at the Airaid and follow the number of 90º turns and twists the air has to make just to get to the throttle body from the bumper (about 5-6)

The Volants Powercore filter, designed and manufactured by Donaldson is well known for high flow Diesel applications.
This material is a high-quality synthetic, that won't deteriorate as easily as traditional paper element and cotton/gauze filter media, while also providing vastly improved filtration up to 99.97%. In addition, it's water resistant and never needs oiling. PowerCore® Filtration Technology works by directing air into the front of the filter, where it is channeled into its fluted design. The channels are alternately sealed, allowing air to enter through an open flute and forcing it to exit out an adjacent flute. This allows the air to be filtered in one pass through the filter media with less restriction, allowing clean air to enter your engine for increased airflow and higher filtration efficiency. This technology allows the filter to include a 4 year or 100,000 miles warranty when used in urban conditions.
(edit got the order of my posts mixed up)

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-22-2011 at 12:13 AM.