what up my fellow ram owners?! well i decided to paint my door handles today to color match my truck because i was tired of looking at the old faded cheap looking plastic handles and i must say, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERYONE TO COLOR MATCH!
products used- all dupli color- adhesion promoter, base coat and clear coat. 80,120,220,600,2000 grit sand paper. gatorade, eggrolls and muscle!
1) remove door panels to take off door handles. the door is held on by 4 screws and a bolt inside of the inside door handle. then just push up to detatch the clips from the door.
2) remove the pins that hold the handles together. there are 2 pins for each handle and be sure not to lose these as they are vital to holding the door handle to the handle base. (i lost one and used a screw of the same size as the one i lost
3) SAND, SAND, SAND and oh yea SAND! i started with 120 grit sand paper to rough up the handles to a smooth finish. i ran out and later used 80 followed by 220 and 600 to make sure they were as smooth as a babies bottom!
4) after i sanded, i sprayed a degreaser all over the parts and soaked them in soapy water for 5 minutes each. then rinsed off and hung them out in the sun to dry!
5) take a break! some people perfer cold beer, but me, i like grape gatorade! and im munchin down on some eggrolls, and writing this up! dam im good at multi tasking!
6) spray adhesion promoter. i sprayed in the following- 1st spray was light, 2nd and 3rd were wet and 4th was a medium coat. this helps the paint bond and stick to the plastic! very vital! and i waited 15 minutes before each spray so the previous could dry.
7) spray base color coat. same process as step 5! after you spray this coat, if you have any runs or you dont like it, you can wet sand it with 2000 grit paper to even it out. wont hurt but make sure its dry
8) spray clear coat. same process as step 6!
9) now you can let dry and admire your work! BUT if your a professional and want to wet sand it and buff the clear for an even nicer shine, go for it. im not a professional at painting so i left this step out. still is very shinny without sanding so its really up to you!
10) i let mine dry out in the 100 degree heat for about an hour and 30. this process varies on your temp. if you want you can let it dry over night! just depends on how impatient you are and trust me, youll be very impatient because you wanna put these bad boys on!
11) put handles back on your truck but be sure and careful not to put to much pressure on the handles as they are not completely cured! reverse the steps on taking the panel off and BAM it should be back on in no time!
12) admire your work and give me some love for an excellent write up!! i highly recommend everyone do it! makes the truck look so much better!