View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
Nice Job but I'm confused with your data

If your Ram has a "tank full" @ 23 Gallon to fill Tank it would like this:

4 tanks MDS 4 tanks defeated=8
14000 mile Test range for 8 tanks = 23 gallons x 8 Full tanks=184
14000 miles Divided by 184 gallons=76.08 MPG

Same formula above using an 18 gallon Tank = 97.2 MPG

LoL.....I think its a no brainer to run with MDS off!!!!!

Just saying
LOL

I've burnt a few more than 8 tanks of fuel....a lot more!
But for control reasons, I based my calculations on 8 tanks where I carefully logged all pertinent information to ensure my test results were not skewed by external factors like tail wind for first 4 and head wind for 2nd 4, or +30deg for first 4 and -30deg for 2nd 4....you get the picture.

My driving style is very consistent....aggressive...respectful, but aggressive. The weather conditions are...well...it's the weather...what can I say. All I wanted to do was ensure that I was making an informed decision on whether or not to disable the MDS permanently.

Since installing the DSP with a 91 tune and upgrading my air filter, I have noted a MPG increase of 2.1 city...all the while driving more aggressive than usual. I then added a MagnaFlo exhaust, and .... well, I like the sound under heavy acceleration.. 2 Tanks since then, and have averaged an additional .6 mpg.

To recap -
Previous MPG (city) - 14.4
Disable MDS
91 tune
K&N filter
MagnaFlo 24"
Drive more aggressive and a lot more WOT
Current mileage (city) - 17.6 (as of today, 38 gal average)

It appears that although I am driving in a less fuel efficient fashion, I have somehow managed to increase my city mileage by 3.2mpg. The bonus - I have some extra HP to play with, it runs better, sounds better and is more enjoyable to drive.

Down side - I have an Oil change appointment tomorrow, so removed the tune tonight so I don't forget. My dealer 'may' connect to it if there is a TSB or RR that's available, and I don't want to take the change and have my tune over-written. It's a minor hassle to have to remember to do this, but the benefits far out weight this inconvenience.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI