View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Can somebody answer this for me:

I live in Edmonton (Canada) and usually drive with MDS on. I find that "ECO" cycles between on and off quite frequently when doing city driving.
So... is it better to drive in 5th gear all the time? Or what about putting it into "Tow" mode, will that save gas? I have never used Tow Mode in my vehicle.
I'm averaging between 15.6 and 16.9 litres per 100 KM (and, I can honestly say it drives me nuts watching the gas economy go up and down all the time. ugh...)
I have tried driving in 5th gear but only for a short distance (didn't know if it is okay to do so), and I didn't notice a gas savings.

So what should we be doing? Drive in 5th to disable ECO? Drive in TOW MODE to shorten up the shift patterns?
Anyone?? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Dave
Tow/Haul mode locks out your 2nd overdrive(and also rearranges the gears so that the 2nd prime gear that is normally only used for downshifting becomes available for upshifting). I wouldn't use the T/H mode for what you are trying to do.

If you are driving a lot of city driving, just bump the gear selector down to where the EVIC reads "5". This will allow the transmission to shift through all the gears normally, but disables MDS. You should get slightly better mpg with the MDS off in the city.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.