View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:539
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBINATOR View Post
That is highly unusual. Never seen any open rear put power to both wheels like that and leave that long of rubber on road.

I have an old 454 engine in a 1972 chevy pick up with an open rear, suppossedly over 460hp. it will not power both wheels with an open rear diff and leave 2 equal skid marks. Both wheels can only get equal power with Real Posi or Limited Slip in any setup. Unless there is something different with your setup I am not familiar with.

We tried it with both our 2009 5.7 4x4s and both left only one skid mark. the 5.7 with the towing package, and LSD left two skids.

Unusual
Even in an open diff,
Power to Both wheels is Equal "if" traction on both tires is equal.
I'll admit it takes more power than stock and a setting on my Diablo Trinity to disable traction control (ESP)
are certainly factors in getting a decent dual wheel peel out of an open diff. It certainly doesnt do it all the time
But proving that it is possible pokes holes in the theory that only an LSD can pull it off for the purpose of identifying a LSD.

Cant really do a decent full donut with the factory ESP giving you a buzz kill half way through a 360º. Works great with Diablo disable though (open or LSD)

A better road test for an open diff is: right rear tire in the dirt/gravel on the shoulder of the road and the left rear tire (drivers side) on clean dry pavement,
Punch it and only the tire in the dirt will spin, and there will be no black mark on the pavement at the left side tire

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 09-27-2011 at 10:30 AM.