Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I think you're misunderstanding what that means. When it says "5" it doesn't mean you are in 5, it means that's the highest gear it will allow it to shift to. For example, if you bumped it down to where it showed "3", it would shift 1, 2, 3, but would not shift into 4th. They call this ERS(electronic range selection I think). So if you put it to "5" it will shift normally, the only difference is that MDS will be disabled.

EDIT: and no this does not harm anything...
Thanks for your reply. Nope. I understood correct. It's a no-brainer that putting the transmission into 5 doesn't keep it in that gear at all speeds.

I should have rephrased my statement to something like "So it is okay to have the shifter in 5th to disable the ECO feature?"

I drove around with the shifter in 5th... I did not notice a difference in gas economy (and I was driving like a grandpa!) I'll continue to drive for the rest of the week in 5 to see if my mileage improves.

There's likely one advantage of running in 5 and that is the responsiveness of the vehicle, aggressively depressing the gas pedal provides much better pick-up.