Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Section VIII is on a distinguished road

Dillon,

You don't need to join to be a pilot. Especially in the USAF. I have been an enlisted Airman for 17+ years now and know of several enlisted personnel who have received their private pilot's license and one of them is going for his commercial. Right now, you can have the government help pay for your pilot's license.

If you REALLY want to be around aircraft and not be a "ground pounder", you can sign up as a loadmaster or flying crew chief and be almost guaranteed to fly as often as you like (especially given the current worldwide events). Loadmasters and flying crew chiefs are currently in great demand. Great monetary benefits as well as experiences going to all kinds of different countries/customs/cultures.

All the comments above are geared towards AMC (Air Mobility Command). The pilots who fly heavies have a easier time transitioning to commercial aircraft (i.e., airliners).

The last thing I'll say is that if you do join (whatever branch), make sure you understand that you CAN/WILL be deployed. You may be shot at. You may be bombed. You may be away from your family for extended periods of time (1 year+). You WILL be expected to kill the enemy. You WILL be held to a higher standard. You WILL have certain limitations on what you can say or do. You WILL have to listen to and obey those who have authority over you (i.e., your immediate supervisor all the way up to the Commander-in-Chief--a.k.a. The President of the United States). You may die. Join because you want to serve the country first...yourself last.

Last edited by Section VIII; 09-28-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Typo