View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: '04, 2500 4x4,5.9 HO,Auto,QC
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
rdefayette is on a distinguished road
Default trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
First post! So be nice!

I have been a mechanic all my adult life (52yo now) so I know my way around the shop. I work for a school district so the vehicles I work on are all the same...of course none are Dodge.

Therre was not a Auto Trans choice for 2004 so my above profile lists my truck as "Manual"?!?!?!?!
I have a 2004 diesel 4X4 with 188,000+ miles and for about two years the trans seems to forget where the 1-2 shift is. After that first shift it would do fine until I turned the key off...then we would have to start over.

About one year ago it started not holding 2nd gear if you were accelerating. Once the vehicle reaches 30mph, I can stand on it and it holds 2nd and all shifts after. If I baby the take off will hold 2nd at lower speeds.

Lastly; not sure if this has any bearing on things or not (really want to know if others have this issue)....If i start the truck and my low fuel light comes on...the truck will only go 20mph. If it happens while driving, it doesn't effect anything...drives normal!

Feel free to ask questions...I know what I want to say, just don't seem to say it at times!
1st things 1st.
Has the trans ever been serviced.
On an '04 with an auto you have a 48re Transmission.
Factory service is recommended evry 30k miles.
Not only filter and fluid (+4 trans fluid ONLY) but adjust the bands.
One of the band adjustments is on the left front side of the case the other requires the pan to be removed.
2nd accumulator solenoid is known to take a dive on the also but 1st do a trans service, not just a filter/fluid change.