Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:72
sincebeen will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=BlackRamHemi;616022]WOW!!!

Great idea on the Home Depot "foam" tube insulation. The Volant DOES NOT fit flush with the fender intake on my 2010 so I would have to create a bridge and I think the insulation will do the trick. I used clear packing tape - because of it's adhesive integrity - to block the bottom hole that exists for the ram air attachment.

But there's a good chance I won't stay with the Volant. I definitely lost some low end power with it (Here's my proof: with the stock box and K&N drop in I could chirp the tires when punching it from a 30 MPH roll. With the Volant, I lost that capability). I think I gained some highway speed passing power and the sound is awesome.. really sounds like some muscle under the hood during WOT.

What I'm looking for is 0-60 performance... I drive on the street, so I couldn't care less about track times. What this means to me, is that if I'm losing low end with the Volant, it's time to try something else.

Other than sound, I'm not too impressed with the Volant. I would like to give the Airaid a shot (because it has a bigger, and what appears to be a less restrictive filter) before I make the decision to return to the stock box (with a modified "unribbed" air duct).

I do have 2 Caveats: 1. I did not disconnect the battery during installation, so the battery was not reset. But I have driven about 60 miles after the install so there has been plenty of time for the computer to adjust. and 2. I still have the stock exhaust (until my FM Super 44 arrives on Tuesday) so I have not matched the "inhale" with a good "exhale" yet.

The bottom line is that the stock box is more "fully enclosed" than is the Volant design out of the box... even after blocking the accessory hole.

Last edited by sincebeen; 10-03-2011 at 12:11 AM.