View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Nuts....yeah, the second gen 4.7 came out in the 2008 model year. Superchips claims a roughly 20 hp and 20 tq increase to the wheels on our first gen trucks. I don't doubt the increase claim....the issue to me is that it comes at 4400 rpm. How often do you see that kind of driving in your truck? I don't doubt that a Superchips equipped first gen 4.7 will outrun a stock 4.7 0-60, in the quarter mile, or whatever. But in normal everyday driving are you going to be able to feel the difference between the two? My experience was no. I did feel the difference in the firmer shifting and hanging on to gears a little longer but I also noticed that the tranny seemed to upshift and sometimes downshift a little too firm for me. So I sent my Superchips on to another user....a hemi owner who will likely get more out of it than I did. If you are really curious I still say go for it and experience it yourself. Just don't buy it new. Keep a religious watch on craigslist, ebay, and these forums and get a used one at a decent price. It took me about a month to pick one up for about $200 bucks on ebay. That way if you do decide to return it to stock you won't lose yourself a hundred bucks. Good luck!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.