View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

All the previous posts seem dead on....they recommend 89 octane because of the amount of compression and timing advance in the engine....87 will not hurt the engine, but if the knock sensor sees pinging/detonation it will retard timing and you will lose some mpg/performance. Some people say they get much better mpg/performance with the higher octane and some say they don't notice a difference, you'll have to experiment. Some say they even see better results with 91/93 octane as well, but I think that's usually not the case. Running a higher octane than required will never cause damage, but will cost more. You should run the lowest octane you can without causing pinging and loss in performance/mpg (to get the most for your money). I would definitely recommend ethanol free gas, you WILL get better mpg and peformance with it, like he said above ethanol has less energy per volume than pure gasoline.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.