Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RandTx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRamHemi View Post
I'm at a huge factory disadvantage with heavy stock tires/wheels, a crap load of TM, and weak 3.55 gears and an open rear differential.
4WD is also adding extra weight most racers dont have to deal with.

So to overcome those obstacles and make them work for me instead of against me,
I needed to be creative with how I spend my money to run with cars with way more HP and/or lighter weight than my 5300 pound brick.

A complete re-gear for both diffs and a rear locker would have been $3300 (installed) up here.
Instead I achieved about the same results as an R/T, maybe even better, with an even better Torque Converter and Dedicated DR's (4.30:1 effective gear ratio) for under $2k.
That golden combo is enough to beat a stock R/T, that cost $2k more than my 4x4 and is pretty much useless on the roads in the winter here for up to 6 months a year on snow/ice covered roads.

The main difference between an R/T Ram and mine (that may explain some of the animosity) is I made a mid 15 second truck run 13's in 2500'+ DA
The R/T is a already a pre-packaged 13 second truck bone stock that most owners are only getting mid 14's with.
but you need gears... to more easily turn her into a mid to low 13's or better truck.

$3300 seems too high,you should look for better price.
You could pick up a stock LSD for under a $100 if you search (and that's probably better in the snow and ice than a new $500+ DTT)
Gears themselves maybe $400-$450 new or much cheaper if you just snagged a lightly used set of 3.92's from somebody swapping a 4x4 to 4.56
Then $300 - $500 an axle labor would be more in line including bearings seals, fluids etc.(shop around)
and once again it would be an ET shave that you created by your own actions.