View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1989-1993 360ci (5.9L) Cummins diesel I6 160hp 400lb/ft
Rep:10
Russ Bellinis is on a distinguished road

A problem I used to find regularly on tour buss air conditioning before I retired is very simple to fix and might be your problem. Air conditioning systems are not designed for refrigeration. They are not expected to reach a cold enough temperature to cause ice formation on the evaporator, but sometimes in humid conditions with the temperature set at it's coldest setting, it will form ice on the evaporator. If the a/c continues to run at that cold setting, the ice formation gets worse and worse so that it will block the airflow. As the airflow is blocked, the problem gets worse. It could eventually result in a liquid slug to the compressor that would destroy the compressor. Shut the a/c off, turn on the heater full high temp with the fan set on low speed. After 5 minutes or even less, turn the a/c back on. If it the cold air flow is restored, your problem is ice, just set the temperature switch up a little bit warmer so the compressor will cut off before the evap gets cold enough to form ice.