View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm not sure what you mean by just put a plug instead of a valve....

If you mean just plug the valve cover instead of having a pcv valve then no you can't do this it will cause leaks/blown seals and gaskets in your engine from the pressure buildup.

If you mean that when you install the catch can, can you just use an open fitting in place of the pcv valve, you could, although it may not directly fit properly, and there's no reason to do this. The valve will help keep the oil in the engine, and the pressure out, if there's no valve you may get more oil going to the catch can... The pcv valve is very inexpensive, and usually only needs replaced around every 100k miles or so. I like to take mine off every 50k miles and soak it in dawn dish soap/water to break down the oil/grease to clean it up to try to keep it from sticking. At 100k miles, for the few bucks to replace it it's cheap security to keep pressure out of your engine.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.