Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
Hey guys,

how hard is it to bleed and replace the brake fluid on our trucks?? apparently my brake fluid is black and they want 140.00 to do it?
I'll chime in. First thought would be why this happened. I would check everything out before bothering with replacing/flushing because it will just spoil the new fluid if you don't. Secondly it sounds like they are charging for an hours labor and some fluid. Not totally unfair really. But if you are savvy you can do it yourself. If you pony-up the money be sure the fluid looks perfectly clean when you pick it up. Drive it around and make a bunch of stops and check again. This will transfer some of the line fluid into the M/C so you can see if they simply emptied the M/C and filled it back up vs. actually flushing the whole system.

The gravity bleed way needs no special tools or equipment but takes time.
Open one bleeder valve at a time starting at right rear and go through the normal sequence until clean fluid comes out.
Be sure and don't let the master cylinder get empty.
Good way to stay out of the better half's way for an afternoon if you work it out right.
No real mystery and will be completed same as any other flush in years gone past. I know of zero reasons this does not apply to our Ram's. Here is a link for more details on a typical two person flush.
http://www.automedia.com/Brake_Bleeding/ccr20011001bb/1

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.