View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMotorsports View Post
Thanks for the response! Are you sure even the original (gen 1) Viper had an aluminum block? Everything I have read about the differences has failed to mention that.
From allpar:
Unique features of the Viper version of the V-10, versus the V10 truck engine, included a low-profile cross-ram intake with dual throttle bodies, the manifolds, oil pan, heads, and accessory drive; the compression ratio was raised, the pistons lightened, the maximum engine speed increased, the valves enlarged, the rods and crank strengthened. In the end, few components were shared with the truck engine.

I would like to know what these few components are. Is there a good place to call to get information like this straight from Dodge? The tech guys at my local dealership don't ever seem to know anything useful....
At the time the Viper was being prototyped, Chrysler owned Lamborghini. They had Lambo cast the engine in aluminum since they had experience with long aluminum V engines. Since they didn't need the weight savings, nor does aluminum hold up particularly well for a heavy duty work engine, they left the truck version cast iron. Plus this was cheaper. Found that thread, give this a read:
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....d=147920&pos=1

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people