View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram, 1996 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport and Laramie
Color: Black Sport, White Laramie
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:10
kslongrider is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Ram 3500 lights issue

This one's driving me nuts, so Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Coming home from Iowa a few weeks back pulling a trailer I got that hot electrical smell and the dash felt hot around the headlight switch. Got off the road and shut the lights down figuring I had a short in the trailer wiring. Found a couple of problems in the trailer wires and fixed them but when I pulled the headlight switch on I only had headlights. Checked the fuses, all were fine. I kept messing with it and I could ease the headlight switch back in, kinda in between stops and get taillights but the headlights were off. I could pull the switch all the way out and have headlights but no running lights. Figured I'd burned out the headlight switch. I drove home 225 miles with the switch inbetween stops so I had clearance lights and holding the dimmer switch back so I had headlights on high beam. Great way to give yourself hand cramps and piss other drivers off.
I replaced the switch the next day, same story. Took that switch back and exchanged it for another. Same deal. Picked up another new switch at NAPA that came with a new plug and pigtails. Put it in same story. Tried one more new switch same story. Anybody got any ideas?
Sponsored links