View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 3500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Gray w/silver accent
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:26
RoadDog50 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I think my lift pump is shot. Some help....

Ok here is what I got. I have a 2004 3500 SLT 5.9 4x4 w/auto trans with about 176K miles. It stalled on me in the driveway and it had never stalled before. I changed the oil and fuel filter/water seperator for good measure and put some Power Service Diesel Fuel additive in the tank. The truck started with no problem. I let it idle for a bit and took it around the block doing some full throttle pulls to see how it ran. No problems. Eventually I took it out on the highway and it stalled doing 80 MPH in the fast lane... That was fun. Eventually got it to the shoulder and tried to restart. It would crank fine but wouldn't fire, even after letting it cool down. I got it towed to the house and got the codes via the OBD. I have P0148 "Fuel delivery malfunction" and P0628 "Relay Control Circuit Low Voltage - Fuel Pump A". The truck has the original lift pump and now when I put the key to "ON" position I only hear clicking from the engine compartment as opposed to the slight whine I used to hear.

So what does the group think? How would I check to confirm the lift pump is shot?

Also, I would like advise as to what to replace it with. I see the AirDog II and like what I've read on their site, but would like to know what you all think about it and/or other units. My plan is to upgrade the truck as I go but I don't want to go too radical as I don't want to destroy it.

Also where do you all go for performance parts. I live in NJ and XDP (xtremediesel.com) is also in NJ. They seem to have a good selection and a good website. I bought my BD adjustable track bar and BD steering box stabilizer from them with a 10% off coupon (which I still have to install). I also checked out Alligator Performance and they seem to be comparable. Prices seem to be pretty even across all the websites I've seen.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored links