Old 10-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Muddy will become famous soon enough
Default Valve ticking, DTC's and other problems.

I have been lurking on this website for a long while trying to find answers to why my Dodge is acting the way it is. If these questions have already been answered I really do apologize, I have looked and looked and found nothing to answer my problems.
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4WD w/ a 4.7L V8 that I bought when stationed in PA so it is a Cali Emissions vehicle. Mods I have done to it were 1st, a Cherry Bomb Pro Series that dumps as soon as it exits the muffler. 2nd I bought a Hypertech Programmer, this is when problems started showing up. No matter what fuel setting it is set for, the valves rattle severly when the truck climbs a hill. After I took the tune out and set it back to factory settings, the rattle would stop. I started looking on the internet to see if others were having the same issue and saw nothing. So I contacted Hypertech and told them of the problem. They wrote a new formula for my programmer and I loaded it into the truck. It worked fine after that for about 2 oil changes, then the valve rattle started back. Also, a couple of DTC's started showing up. a P0430 and P127E. Now I know P0430 is for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, but the other I have no clue. So again I remove the program and have the truck checked. Dealer told me nothing was wrong. I told him that I have been programming it with a Hypertech and he said that shouldn't have nothing to do with it. So I got home and reprogrammed it. At the same time I ordered a K&N CAI to see if that would help. Maybe not enough air was coming in for the amount going out. Silly thought maybe but worth a shot. Didn't help. I am still getting these two codes about every 3 fill-ups. Not only does it rattle when programmed but it has started to do it also without the Hypertech program in it.
Also, from day one with this truck it had a small knock that is audible only at warm up. Not the normal Dodge tick but a knock. I went to the dealer in PA, to 2 in TX, one in GA and one here in NV and they all say it's nothing. It is getting louder and seriously sounds like a rod knocking along with the normal Dodge tick. This is the 7th Chrysler product I've owned so I don't really think it is normal as they say. Most of them never would keep it over night so they could hear it in the morning when it is at its loudest.
Other important info you may need; 1st 3 oil changes where with 5W-20 Valvoline Durablend and everyone after that has been 5W-20 Valvoline Full Synthetic, changed ever 3000 miles. It is a Big Horn Edition but the 20's were removed and 17's put on w/ 285 70/17 BFG KM2's and still has the factory 3.92 gearing. I do a lot of trail driving here in the NV deserts. Have hauled some but nothing overly heavy, mainly just the moves I've done back and forth across the country. My drive to work is 35 miles one way at 65mph. I don't really race the engine but the RPM's have been up to 6000 more then a couple of times. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
Sponsored links